Re: cdevpriv and mmap(2)

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:55:25 +0300
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 08:15:04PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Kostik Belousov wrote:
>
> >When implementing cdevpriv, I completeley missed the support for d_mmap()
> >driver method. This method is called by the kernel (at least) twice: one
> >time to validate the mmaped region and protection mode (see
> >vm/device_pager.c:dev_pager_alloc()), and second time to obtain the
> >physical address when serving page fault (see dev_pager_getpages()).
> >
> >Support for cdevpriv for the first call(s) is trivial, and is implemented
> >by the patch below. Second calls are much harder and essentially require
> >attaching cdevpriv bookkeeping data to the struct vm_map_entry. In fact, I
> >am not sure whether this support for the second time calls is needed at
> >all in real usage.
> >
> >I Cc:ed people that pointed me to the issue, please evaluate the patch
> >against your needs. I think I will commit it shortly after your feedback.
> >On the other hand, I would think about implementing full support for
> >d_mmap only if actually needed.
>
> I'm not really sure that these changes "make sense" given the way our
> device pager works right now.  My understanding is that most consumers of
> cdevpriv use it in order to provide session-centric device nodes as a
> cleaner alternative to cloning.  However, even with your change, it's not
> possible to support session-centric memory mapping of devices as the memory
> map and device pager code assumes there is one VM object for each device,
> and hence all pages mapped independently from different file descriptors on
> the same device are from the same set of pages (and hence in the same VM
> object page cache).  In order to implement session-centric semantics, I
> think it's actually quite a bit more complicated than just adding
> vm_map_entry book-keeping -- we also need to have a different VM object for
> each session.
>
> And, arguably, we need a more mature device_pager that understands that
> pages might someday no longer be associated with a device due to that
> device being removed...

The issues you raised are obviously important, but IMHO they are
ortogonal to the cdevpriv KPI working in for _any_ pager.

Pager' getpages method is usually called from the context where kernel
does not have naturally supplied filedescriptor. For instance, most
typical caller if vm_fault(). Thus, whatever pager is used, we have to
provide a way for kernel to somehow associate struct file with faulted
page (region), and make that file available to the pager.
[Hmm, because kernel is allowed to fault too, vm_fault() should
save/restore td_fpop.]

Another point is that we have important consumers of the existing device
pager interface that already want to use cdevpriv. Their usage ATM
is limited to authentification, whatever it means. I assume it means
checking that the caller was given some token the validation step. The
code should be structured approx. like this:

dri_mmap(...)
{
	some_dri_data *p;
	int error;

	error = devfs_get_cdevpriv(&p);
	if (error == 0) {
		/* authenticate; */
	}
	/*
	 * Auth successfull or error == EBADF
	 * Do whatever needed to return phys address
	 */
}

And, the last issue you raised, the need for the new pager is actually
real for GEM/TTM or whatever the newest DRI interface is called. I have
an intent to play with it, but more smart thing would be to wait some
time more. Hopefully, then DRI folks will finally decide on the (more)
stable interface. I am sure that it would be changed several dozen
times in the future, but have a hope that it will not be designed from
scratch.