Re: Why VESA and DPMS are available only for i386?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:53:09 +0200 (CEST)
Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > There's a third way, and I think this is the easiest one.
 > > This is what the Linux VESA framebuffer driver does.
 > > Let the boot loader (which executes in 32bit mode) switch
 > > to the desired video mode, enable a linear frame buffer
 > > (which is supported since VBE 2.0) and pass the address
 > > of the frame buffer to the 64bit kernel.  Then the kernel
 > > would not need to call any VESA functions at all, thus
 > > eliminating all of the above problems.  The drawback is
 > > that you can't change the console video mode anymore once
 > > the kernel is booted, i.e. you have to reboot if you want
 > > a different mode.
 >
 > This can also lead to a situation where the kernel can not restore the
 > video controller to a known mode if the X server crashes or when the
 > user attempts to switch from X to the "text mode" console.

Why would you need to use VESA modes for syscons if you
install and run Xorg anyway?

Best regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt