Re: PERC6/i/e cli

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:00:42 +0200
Quoting "Roman Divacky" <rdivacky_at_FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 17 Sep 2008
12:16:05 +0200):

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:00:06PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting "Stefan Lambrev" <stefan.lambrev_at_moneybookers.com> (from Wed,
>> 17 Sep 2008 12:17:40 +0300):

>> >The port comes with a shell script/wrapper which require you to use
>> >2.6.12. I think the maintainer promised to change it to >= 2.6.12
>> >I personally use 2.6.16 and fixed the wrapper by myself to work only
>> >with this version.
>> >The point of the maintainer is that if it works with 2.6.12, why we
>> >should disable it?
>> >For me it's enough to work with default 2.6.16 value, but someone
>> >may want to experiment .. not that a small shell script will stop
>> >them ..
>>
>> The linuxulator (kernel) will only switch to 2.6 mode with 2.6.16,
>> with everything else it will stay in 2.4 mode. The linux
>> infrastructure (ports) may decide to do their own stuff based upon the
>> value of osversion. In the linux_base-fc6 this is the case for sure
>> (libc and so on). The port you use may do the same. You've been
>> warned...
>
> actually linuxulator checks if the "osrelease" string is at least 3 chars
> long and if the 3rd char is "6" so "2.6.16" works exactly the same as
> "9.6.IamAlittleBUTTERFLY"....

Ups... sorry. It seems my memory fades away regarding this.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
A complex system designed from scratch never works and
cannot be patched up to make it work.  You have to start

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137