Re: New rc.d/named features for testing: auto-forwarding and wait on boot

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 12:13:54 -0700
Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 March 2009 22:22:45 Doug Barton wrote:
>> Mel Flynn wrote:
>>> I think the hardcoded 127.0.0.1 should be configurable especially
>>> considering prepend-domain-nameservers option for dhclient.conf(5).
>> I'm not sure you understand the goal. The idea here is to use the
>> local resolver first, as a forwarder. If that usage would conflict
>> with something that you prepend in dhclient.conf, don't enable both
>> options.
>
> But the local resolver is assumed to be 127.0.0.1, not for example
> 192.168.1.10 or ::1.

Yes. Not only is that considered "best practice," but the named.conf
that comes with the system has: listen-on	{ 127.0.0.1; }; already.
There is no good reason to disable that. Adding additional listen-on
statements (or other devices) to have the name server listen on other
addresses is fine of course.

> I agree prepending a nameserver and autoforward are not
> the best combo,

I never said that, and I don't believe it. Prepending a _local_ name
server with an address other than 127.0.0.1 _is_ a bad idea however.

> but it can be handy in case you stop named (free up resources,
> you temporarily want) to still be able to resolve (though with a delay).
> Either way, you're writing 127.0.0.1 to resolv.conf, yet not setting a listen-
> on in named so the two can be out of sync,

It's already in the default named.conf, and should be there anyway.

> And what happens if the DHCP server cannot be reached within 5 tries, but will
> once it's in the background?

This is actually a good argument for prepending 127.0.0.1 in
dhclient.conf.

> Also, rcorder shows NETWORKING before named, yet dhclient after, though with
> the changes of (a)sync dhclient lately, I should probably familiarize myself
> again with what exactly is done.

You need to run 'rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/*' to get a better idea
of what's happening. The dhclient script is not run by rc, it's run by
another script.

hth,

Doug