Re: loader prompt doesn't work

From: User Wblock <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:27:11 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 31/03/2009 03:50 User Wblock said the following:
>> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> There was a significant fix to boot code made recently by jhb. It is
>>> now in head, stable/7 and stable/6. So you need to update to the
>>> recent resources. What you also need (and what was not emphasized
>>> enough, IMO) is to actually install new boot code (/boot/boot) to
>>> your active slices after installworld completes.
>>>
>>> E.g.:
>>> $ gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot adXsY
>>
>> The gpart manpage just makes me more confused about this.
>
> Your reply is quite confusing too - you put many different things into
> the same heap.

Okay, I'll try again.

>> I don't know
>> what a "protective" MBR is, or if I've got one.
>
> If you think that you have to know, then google is your friend.

The question is "How can I tell if 'gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot adXsY'?
is needed?  The gpart man page is apparently not the place to start.

>> Can you expand on this a little?
>
> On "this" what?

On your statement above:

>>> What you also need (and what was not emphasized enough, IMO) is to
>>> actually install new boot code (/boot/boot) to your active slices
>>> after installworld completes.

Would it be more accurate if that sentence read:

"What you also need *if you experience problems with the boot loader
prompt* (and what was not emphasized enough, IMO)..."

>> For instance:
>>
>> * When did it happen?
>
> "it" what?

>>> There was a significant fix to boot code made recently by jhb.

Hoping for something more specific than "recently".

>> * Who needs to do this--everyone who has updated to a recent -CURRENT or
>> -STABLE?
>
> If you don't have the problems described earlier in this thread than you
> don't have to do anything.

Does not having the problem mean the latest boot code is in place, or
just that the particular system hasn't triggered the problem?  Is there
a way to tell if the installed boot code is up to date?