Re: Removal of GEOM_BSD, GEOM_MBR, GEOM_PC98 and GEOM_SUNLABEL

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:58:28 -0700
On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:

>    0n Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:44:27PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
>>> 2. What's it being replaced with?
>>
>> GEOM_PART_BSD, GEOM_PART_MBR, GEOM_PART_PC98 and
>> GEOM_PART_VTOC8
>
> Why ?

It's a better basis for further growth.

It has a uniform interface which allows us to improve
sysinstall and add GPT on i386 or even APM on PowerPC
(you'd expect we have that already, but we don't). We
can even modify logical partitions then, something we
cannot do now. We can have a tool like parted...

It allows us to add "advanced" features like moving a
partition that's mounted or resizing a partition that
has been formatted without reformatting. Or even the
ability to migrate a MBR+BSD partitioning scheme into
a GPT one while the system is running from the disk.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com