Re: strange UFS labels behaviour

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 22:25:09 +0200
Olivier SMEDTS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since UFS labels were introduced, I've got strange behaviour when
> fsck-ing or mounting my UFS partitions. Here is the console output at
> boot :

> Is this expected ?

I didn't read your message in detail but if are you asking if the "label
... removed" are valid when the device is opened from an "alternative"
entry point (e.g. ad0s1e instead of ufsid/4867d45fd3972203) then yes,
this is by design. The label is read from the file system metadata and
anything that opens that file system for its own use can change this
metadata - so the labels are removed.

(note that this is nothing special as far as GEOM_LABEL is concerned -
this is present in all types and forms of labels).

If you're complaining about the verbosity of the whole process then I
think you can set the kern.geom.label.debug sysctl to -1 to avoid these
messages.

The "modern" way would be to use the labels as device nodes for mounting
instead of raw devices - in this case they would "stay" when opened.