Re: pci_alloc_resource patch

From: Justin Hibbits <jrh29_at_alumni.cwru.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 08:43:41 -0400
On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 05:01:17AM -0700, Barney Cordoba wrote:
> Bill Gates is a successful businessman. John Baldwin is not. So his
> "advice" about what is commercially acceptable has zero value. I'm
> sorry if that went over your head.

Dude, insults will get you nowhere.  Also, you do realize that a large number of
developers are paid employees doing work for commercial entities, right?  So if
John Baldwin says something is commercially acceptable, he may very well be
right.  Then again, he could be wrong.  It depends entirely on the field.  Maybe
in the consumer sector a driver failure should be tolerated, but in the server
and high performance computing sector a driver failure could very well be
catastrophic.  Not all commercial sectors are created equal.

Also, John gave an option of how to do what you need, and pointed to prior art
as why he did it.  You should be basing your arguments on actual research and
not just on "because I want to do it this way".

> If the developer's fragile egos won't allow them to admit that their
> code is wrong or deficient, then whats the point of spending my time
> doing PRs or submitting patches? John believes that the OS is his
> personal toy and that putting panics into his code is a good thing. If
> you can't get him to admit that his coding philosophy is part of the
> problem, then you have no chance of fixing it with a PR.
>

> So Peter, I assume you agree that the panic in pci_alloc_resource()
> is appropriate instead of the expected NULL return? Or are you just
> blindly bloviating for your friend?
>
> Here's your fix. Now a driver that attempts to re-allocate a busy resource
> gets a nice "Unable to allocate bus resource: memory" message instead of
> a system panic. The way a good OS is supposed to work. I really
> don't have time to do PRs so you can do it yourself.

If you have the time to post to the list with such eloquent hostility, you
certainly have time to file a PR.  It takes only a few minutes, less than half
the time it takes to publicly insult the developers.  Also, you should provide a
sufficient reason for the PR being needed, and "because I said so" is not a
sufficient reason.

> Barney

- Justin