Re: comparing svn and cvs somewhat

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 03:43:04 +0300
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 13:36:32 -0400, Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_telenix.org> wrote:
> I have gotten a local copy of the svn repo going on my home here, by
> using svnsync, which seems (by what I've read and been told) to be the
> right method.  I'm wondering about a feature that is there for cvs, in
> cvsup, but which seems to be missing in svnsync for svn.
>
> What I'm after is a much better way to maintain a local repo than what
> I'm seeing now in maintaining my svn repo, with svnsync.  The main
> feature that I think I'm missing is the ability to be able to compare
> files on a central server (something serving all FreeBSDers) to files
> on everybody's personal repo, and to automatically update them if
> there isn't a perfect comparison.

I am not sure if it's any help but `svnadmin verify /local/path' seems
to be doing half of the work you want.  I am not sure if the Subversion
wire-protocol supports remotely doing this, but maybe it's a feature the
Subversion team would be interested to add to the core SCM system?

It does sound useful, at least for FSFS-style repositories like ours :)