Re: Hal and KDM breakage (was Re: KDE4 and input events stalled)

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:37:43 -0700

> See /usr/ports/x11/gdm/files/gdm.in.  This is working for GNOME users.

I agree that kdm and xdm should have rc.d scripts.  Almost
every other system is enabled through rc.conf and kdm and
xdm should be the same.

But, there's an enormous amount of documentation
all over that says to enable kdm or xdm through /etc/ttys.
I consider this a real POLA problem.  I think that we
need to continue to support the /etc/ttys mechanism
for a while longer (and add a comment to the stock
/etc/ttys to document that xdm/kdm/gdm shouldn't
be started that way).

I also feel pretty strongly that if kdm/xdm/gdm are all started
through rc.d, then we really have to fix the post-/etc/ttys
dependency handling.  Your scripts are very confusing and
basically broken.  For example, "REQUIRE: hald" has absolutely
no effect.

Of course, I'm still confused about why hald has to start
after gettys.  I thought the whole point of hald was to monitor
and publish changes to the system.  Why can't it do the
same with available consoles?  Is there some missing
kernel capability that makes this impossible?  Or is
there an architectural issue with hald that makes this
harder than it sounds?

Tim