Re: Hal and KDM breakage (was Re: KDE4 and input events stalled)

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:27:49 -0400
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 16:53 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>

>         It's not a question of what hal is doing, but rather how
>         console-kit
>         works (and hald depends on console-kit-daemon).  It needs to
>         be able to
>         monitor each of the active vtys...
>
> This is the part of the picture I'm still missing.  *Why* does
> hald (via console-kit) care about tracking active vtys?
> (I presume hald actually doesn't care but that some client
> of hald needs this information.... ???)

ConsoleKit monitors the vtys for active changes so it can provide
consumers such as hal and PolicyKit information about active sessions.
In particular, hal uses CK to determine if a user is currently logged in
on the console, and if so, allows that user to mount certain volumes
that would otherwise not be allowed.

>         ....  Bland did some work to correct this in -CURRENT, but it
>         won't work on other versions.  It was just easier to leave the
>         hack in
>         place.
>
>         If this could be universally fixed in all supported versions
>         of FreeBSD,
>         then I would be happy to remove the hacks.
>
> I'm still curious whether it's feasible to just not monitor the vtys.

Sure, you can try it.  Especially if you're not using GNOME, this might
be fine.  Just remove the hacks from hald's rc.d script.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome_at_FreeBSD.org