Re: ata and seagate microdrive problems

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:27 -0600 (MDT)
On Thu, April 9, 2009 19:48, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> I'm trying to install current on via itx using ide 44pin to cf
> adapter and a seagate 8GB microdrive.
>
> I thought it was to be ok, but just today when I received the adapter
> I got nowhere in this. I tried 7.1-STABLE and 8.0-CURRENT from
> 200902, and both fail to find it. the same thing in 7.1R.

"Fail to find it" is a little vague.  Is the CF card detected by the
BIOS?

Many CF-to-IDE adapters don't support DMA:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-small/2005-July/000441.html

Lack of DMA support in the adapter results in errors, lots of them,
after the kernel boots.  Disabling DMA as above fixed that on a 2G CF
card and CF-to-IDE adapter for me.