Re: Xorg/X11 driver Radeon: radeon vs. radeonhd, a mess!

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:24:04 +0000
Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:07:59 +0000
> "O. Hartmann" <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Gary Jennejohn wrote:

>>> Works for me on amd64 8-current.
>>>
>>> garyj:ernst:~:-bash:4> grep DRI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>> (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
>>> (II) Loading extension DRI2
>>> (**) RADEONHD(0): Option "DRI"
>>> (II) RADEONHD(0): FB: Allocated DRI Back Buffer at offset 0x024B4000 (size = 0x00B13000)
>>> (II) RADEONHD(0): FB: Allocated DRI Depth Buffer at offset 0x02FC7000 (size = 0x00B13000)
>>> (II) RADEONHD(0): FB: Allocated DRI Textures at offset 0x03ADA000 (size = 0x0C400000)
>>> (II) RADEONHD(0): [DRI] installation complete
>>> (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
>>> garyj:ernst:~:-bash:5> ls -d /var/db/pkg/*radeon*
>>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Apr 14 11:32 /var/db/pkg/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel-1.2.5.20090412
>>>

>> Tried radeonhd-devel and failed also!
>>
>> When enabling DRI in config file, I see the XDM login box and the box
>> crashes and freezes immediately. Without DRI radeonhd-devel is horrible
>> slow when moving windows around - inacceptable. It doesn't matter
>> whether EXA is enabled or not and the phenomenon ist the same as with
>> the regular radeonhd-driver from xorg-drivers.
>>
>> I'm back with the VESA driver.
>
> Hmm.  Are the drm and radeondrm in your kernel up-to-date?  Your posting
> was chopped by the first replier and I can't remember.
>
> Can't think of anything else.
>
> I personally don't use xdm/gdm/kdm.  I just use startx.
>
> ---
> Gary Jennejohn

The kernel modules 'radeon' and 'drm' are loaded via /boot/loader.conf
when booting and they are up to date (I do a buildworld on a regular
basis these days and it takes ~30 minutes for a quad core box).

Even when not starting X via xdm, the box crashes immediately, freezes
and is only 'revivable' by cold resetting. This happens with driver
radeonhd and enabled DRI. Without DRI the radeonhd driver works, but
moving a window looks like on Windooze when using standard VGA driver
without acceleration (this is bot with EXA on or off) - scrolling and
moving objects is really choppy.

'radeon' doesn't even show up anything, freezes the box as well as
'radeonhd', but no matter whether DRI enabled or not.

At home I will test radeonhd-devel with the RV770LE chipset (here I have
only RV730). The RV770LE seems not to be recognized by 'radeonhd', but
works fine with 'radeon'. But in both cases, DRI enabled crashes the box.