disklablel/gpart [Was: AMD 780G chipset major issues 3/3 (btx)]

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:14:51 +0300
on 16/04/2009 03:22 Diego Depaoli said the following:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> After reboot I get BTX halted.
>>> Perhaps bsdlabel -B works only upon a slice with 0X80 flag set?
>>> Otherwise I don't know...
>> It only works when there is no error. ;-) It seems you have to fix the
>> label first.
> Starting from this...
> can be done without loosing data?

You can try to do it with gpart, maybe it will like slices of your disks better :)
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2009-April/003440.html

E.g.: gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot ad10s1

Be warned that gpart says back something like "partition has boot code" and it's
not terribly clear what is actually meant here: "it (already) has boot code, so I
am not doing anything" or "I did my job and it (now) has boot code". It is the
latter :-)

P.S. I have a disk that was labeled from the very start with gpart - both gpart
and disklabel treat it nice; another disk was lebeled with disklabel in pre-gpart
environment and then moved to a gpart environment - gpart works good with this
disk, but disklabel barks the same kind of messages.
I guess that this happens because gpart hasn't reset to zero offset field of the
special partition c when it adopted disklabel-authored label.

--
Andriy Gapon