Re: kernel compile fails without AH_SUPPORT_AR5416

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:15:14 -0700
Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Dennis Melentyev wrote:
>> Could be worth an entry in UPDATING and/or explicitly added to GENERIC.
>
> My point is that if the option is mandatory for compiling ath(4)
> driver, then there is no point in having this option in the first place.

There is an entry in UPDATING and it is present in GENERIC (in HEAD, I
didn't commit the changes to RELENG_7 so don't know).

When the ath hal src code was imported the meaning of the ath_hal device
changed because internal configuration done during binary builds was now
exposed.  Specifically, the need for AH_SUPPORT_5416 to enable support
for the extended descriptor format used by the 11n parts.  If you read
ath_hal(4) this should be clear--if not please help improve the manual page.

However, it so happens you can eliminate this option because config will
generate a #define you can use instead to identify the configuration of
"ath_hal" but this magic is undocumented and I didn't know about it
until ru recently told me.  I suggested he go ahead and fixup the code
to use it but haven't seen anything.  I don't have time right now.

    Sam