RELENG_7 jails on current host

From: Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:52:26 +0200
Hi,

I'm looking for some confirmation/caveats for using a -current host and
RELENG_7 jails. Mostly I'm wondering whether -current is in good enough shape
to host RELENG_7 jails. What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the machine
that currently builds packages for -stable machines as well as hosting a
number of services (low volume httpd/irc/imap/smtp), can be upgraded to
current without significant modification to the jails. The only modification I
expect to be making is fake uname output and set certain port related
variables for the -stable build server.

The reason I'm wanting to do this is because I'm happily running current on my
work laptop but building ports interferes too much. I figured building ports
in a -current jail on a -stable host would not work very well, but I'll
happily be corrected on that if that's no problem.

Jails have been built as per jail(8) manpage, not using ezjail. Nullfs mounts
exist to share binaries and trees like /usr/ports.
--
Mel