ZFS: unlimited arc cache growth?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:50:24 +0200
Hi,

to fs_at_, please CC me, as I'm not subscribed.

I monitored (by hand) a while the sysctls kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size
and kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hdr_size. Both grow way higher (at some
point I've seen more than 500M) than what I have configured in
vfs.zfs.arc_max (40M).

After a while FS operations (e.g. pkgdb -F with about 900 packages...
my specific workload is the fixup of gnome packages after the removal
of the obsolete libusb port) get very slow (in my specific example I
let the pkgdb run several times over night and it still is not
finished).

The big problem with this is, that at some point in time the machine
reboots (panic, page fault, page not present, during a fork1). I have
the impression (beware, I have a watchdog configured, as I don't know
if a triggered WD would cause the same panic, the following is just a
guess) that I run out of memory of some kind (I have 1G RAM, i386, max
kmem size 700M). I restarted  pkgdb several times after a reboot, and
it continues to process the libusb removal, but hey, this is anoying.

Does someone see something similar to what I describe (mainly the
growth of the arc cache way beyond what is configured)? Anyone with
some ideas what to try?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
When you go out to buy, don't show your silver.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137