Re: auto boot into single mode

From: Marten Vijn <info_at_martenvijn.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:22:34 +0200
On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 16:46 +0700, K Anh, Hunh wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a pfSense router. pfSense is based on FreeBSD.
>
> Because of low cost design, I haven't any fail-over router. Hence I often follow these steps:
>
> * boot the router normally
> * electric cut
> * physically access the router
> * boot the router in single mode
> * run $fsck -y /dev/ad8s1a (automatically fix all errors)
> * reboot the router in normal mode
> * enjoy the next electric cut

For crusial systems I put a box on top of it with USB (running NanoBSD
or TinyBSD).

USB gives my access to:
- serial
- power (Gembird Silver line)
  - http://sispmctl.sourceforge.net/
  - http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=132786

You also may consider to rebuild your firewall in nanobsd, you don't
have a gui, but will have of lot more freedom.

cheers,
Marten

--
Marten Vijn