Re: boot panic on current(04.20)

From: Gustau Perez <gperez_at_entel.upc.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:31:11 +0200
Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 April 2009, wsk wrote:
>
>> lists
>>   boot panic on current(2009.04.20).it seems caused by usbus4
>>
>> Root mount waiting for: usbus4
>> uhub4: 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered
>> Root mount waiting for: usbus4
>> ugen4.2: <NEC> at usbus4
>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
>> fault virtual address   = 0x0
>> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
>> instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc08ed3a3
>> stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe4c38b40
>> frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe4c38b44
>> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>>                         = DPL 0,pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>> current process         = 28 (usbus4)
>> trap number             = 12
>> panic: page fault
>> cpuid = 0
>> uptime: 5s
>> Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable.
>>

> Can you compile a kernel with debugging and get a backtrace?

   I'm trying to get the dump saved to /var/crash but seems it is not
working. As the crash happens before /etc/rc.d/dumpon executes, dumpon
doesn't get executed,so dumpdev doesn't point to the place where to save
the dump.

  I tried booting single user without loading both uhci and ehci. I
booted fined. I tried launching swapon /dev/ad4s3b and /etc/rc.d/dumpon
start. Looking at /dev/dumpdev it points to /dev/ad4s3b, fine. Compiled
the kernel with ;

# Debugging for use in -current
options 	KDB			# Enable kernel debugger support.
options 	DDB			# Support DDB.

   and changed sysctl kern.coredump=1.

but the core is not saved to /dev/ad4s3b. Is there something I'm doing
wrong ? Am I missing something ?

> Is the panic reproducible?

   Yes it is. When uhci.ko is loaded is panics.
> --HPS

    Regards,

   Gus