Re: HEADS UP: rebuild all modules on 8.x (was: Re: 'sysctl -a | less' crashes -current)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:00:09 +0100 (BST)
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Robert Watson wrote:

> I'll add a note to updating, but am confused about why the safety belts we
> have in place to force module recompiles in this situation haven't done the
> trick.  Could we be dealing with straggling modules built before that was
> added, or modules not built with our standard modules build parts?  I've
> CC'd John since he did the __FreeBSD_version-related changes, which I may
> simply have misunderstood.

It looks like the logic for constraining supported versions is more liberal
than I assumed, so I've added a note to UPDATING.  It is good practice to
rebuild all modules between kernel updates on -CURRENT.

If anyone can reproduce the malloc-related *after* rebuilding all modules,
please let me know, it could be an indication of a bug in kern_malloc.c.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge