Re: new Marvell SATA controller

From: Rafal Jaworowski <raj_at_semihalf.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:06:07 +0200
On 2009-04-24, at 16:36, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> One of my suppliers sent me a new inexpensive Supermicro SATA
> controller
>
> none1_at_pci0:1:0:0:       class=0x010000 card=0x050015d9
> chip=0x648511ab rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>    vendor     = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
>    device     = 'MV6446x System Controller for PowerPC Processors,
> Revision B'
>    class      = mass storage
>    subclass   = SCSI
>    cap 01[48] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D1 D3  current D0
>    cap 05[50] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit
>    cap 10[e0] = PCI-Express 1 legacy endpoint
>
> Does anyone know if this is just a case of adding the device IDs or
> is it a different beast all together ?

Have you got more info on the whole product like name/symbol?

The MV6446x device you mention does not include a SATA block in it. It
is a system controller (for PowerPC), which indeed has a number of
peripherals integrated (DDR controler, PIC, PCI/PCIE, Ethernet, XOR
etc.), but SATA is not one of them. There must be somewhere a separate
SATA controller on your device besides this one. My speculation is
that it probably sits behind the MV6446x PCI/PCIE bridge, and since
there isn't a driver for this PCI/PCIE bridge in the first place, you
don't see other peripheral(s)...

Rafal