Re: Sysinstall - installing the docproj distribution

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:15:12 +0100 (BST)
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 01:12:09PM +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
>> I downloaded an 8-CURRENT powerpc snapshot from
>> http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/powerpc/8.0-HEAD-20090731-JPSNAP/cdrom/
>> yesterday and tried to install it. The installation of the English
>> documentation set failed saying it couldn't find "packages/INDEX" on the
>> CD. The doc directory does exist so it seems it should be possible to
>> install it.  Is this a bug in sysinstall?
>
> Your ISO comes without any packages?  I mean you cannot install any packages
> during installation time with sysinstall?  If it's the case, it's normal you
> got this error: docs are now provided via packages so if packages/INDEXis
> not available it'll fail.
>
> You can install docs after installation time with:
>
> pkg_add -rv en-freebsd-doc

To date, betas have been shipped without packages, but our installer tends to
handle that less than gracefully (as I recall, it just pops up error dialogs).
Possibly, sysinstall should pop up a message early on saying that there are no
packages and then not offer the option to do anything with them. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge