Re: HEAD tty seems to drop characters

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 20:43:38 -0700
On Aug 2, 2009, at 7:05 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 02:31:08PM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
>> Hi Kostik,
>>
>> * Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I run a screen(1), where I tried to copy large portion of output and
>>> paste it into vi. This resulted in the loss of the characters at
>>> random
>>> points inside the pasted text.
>>
>> I already took some time to investigate the issue. I have attached a
>> patch that should already improve the situation:
>>
>> - write() on a pseudo-terminal master also accounted the data that
>> was
>>  read into the kernel, but couldn't be passed to the TTY (which is
>>  likely to happen in non-blocking mode).
>>
>> - There was also a small unrelated issue; input on a TTY which has
>> been
>>  configured in block (bypass) mode wouldn't set the input high water
>>  mark.
>>
>> For some reason, the data loss doesn't occur when SSHing to myself
>> multiple times, but still causes screen(1) to drop some bytes later
>> on.
>>
>> Even though it's always very easy to blame other applications, I
>> suspect
>> this may be because I reduced the input buffer size from 8 KB to 2 KB
>> per pseudo-terminal. Maybe screen(1) can't deal with this. To be
>> investigated...
> At least, it is an improvement for me. Patch looks good.
> Please consider this as an approval for the commit.

	SWEET! You may have fixed the bug that I reported (well, not
officially) on #bsdports / #bsddev a while ago... someone else tested
it though, and it passed for them so I thought it was just something
funky with my setup. I suppose not :).
	I'll give it a shot too, once I have a chance. It was very easy to
reproduce, but wasn't consistent for everyone, and the best way to
reproduce it was to paste ~1k chars of text from Firefox to xterm (for
instance)..
-Garrett