32-bit ports on amd64, ldd32 missing on FreeBSD/amd64 8.0B2 install

From: Antony Mawer <lists_at_mawer.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:03:18 +1000
I've just been tinkering with FreeBSD/amd64 from the 8.0-BETA2 install
media. At this stage I'm trying to do a test deployment of a new
8.0-based 64-bit (amd64) system, running ports from an existing 32-bit
6.x system. So far there seems to be very little documentation on
running 32-bit applications on amd64, so I am finding my way as I go
along...

In experimenting with this, I have discovered that "ldd" on amd64 is
supposed to be able to automatically spawn ldd32 when run on a 32-bit
binary, however even after installing the lib32 distribution I do not
appear to have a "ldd32" installed in /usr/bin. Is this an accidental
omission somewhere from the installation distributions? From a brief
bit of digging it looks as though if I build by hand it should get
built and installed, but it doesn't appear to be packaged onto the
installation media. I am running:

# uname -a
FreeBSD  8.0-BETA2 FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2 #0: Wed Jul 15 21:48:41 UTC 2009
   root_at_mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Further, if anyone can suggest or comment on if there is a better way
to do this... the plan is presently:

- Clone my existing installation's /usr/local (+ related files) from a
32-bit 6.x based system to the new 8.0 based 64-bit system
- Install the compat6x package
- Verify applications are able to start and run per normal

Are there any significant "gotchas" I should be aware of in doing
this? It is more proof of concept at this stage - eventually we will
rebuild all ports on 8.x (probably as 64-bit native), but in the
interim I am looking for an easy way to utilise all the available
memory without having to rebuild the entire system...

I imagine if I ended up building 64-bit ports, their libraries going
under /usr/local/lib would conflict with the 32-bit libraries that
will be there; however I intend to use exclusively 32-bit packages
built on the existing 6.x systems for the moment...

Any advice would be appreciated..........

-- Antony