Re: (es)ata drives may need an explicit spinup command?

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:56:44 +0300
Juergen Lock wrote:
> So I tested esata on a siis pcie card with a 750G Seagate Freeagent Pro
> drive and it does work - until the drive falls into powersave mode
> after being idle for a little while. :(  (I had the drive on 1394
> before on another box where it was able to recover from this condition,
> but not on usb or esata - and the drive's 1394 interface died a while
> ago and also esata is faster anyway...)
>
>  And now I came across this patch for the linux ata driver:
> 	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git;a=commitdiff;h=169439c2e35f01e7832a9b4fc8a7446980c3d593;hp=1e999736cafdffc374f22eed37b291129ef82e4e
>
>  So my question is, could the same be done in our ata code?
> I have a slight :) hope it would help this drive too at least as it
> does seem to work on Linux...

I am not sure it is related to your case, as you said your drive works
for some time after plug. If drive spun-down automatically due to
inactivity, it should spin-up automatically also, as OS unable to track
that transition. 30 seconds of ATA command timeout should be sufficient
for drive to do this. Do you have any other symptoms?

--
Alexander Motin