Re: run interrupt driven hooks: still waiting for xpt_config

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:02:41 +0100 (BST)
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Marc UBM Bocklet wrote:

>>> Is there any other info I can / should provide to help debugging this?
>>
>> Any news on this? This pretty much prevents me from running 8.0 :-/
>
> I've a friend with a similar problem (also HighPoint controller, also "run
> interrupt driven hooks: still waiting for xpt_config"), who gets a panic.
> I'll try to get the panic string and a backtrace, if I do, I'll post it
> here.

xpt_config basically means that you're waiting on a device driver attached to
CAM to finish probing, which could point at a number of potential problem
sources (including things like interrupt routing problems).  At least in the
7.x line, I've seen firewire and USB at various times cause this issue.  It
might be interesting to compile down to the smallest set of cam-related
drivers required to support necessary hardware (omit firewire, for example)
and see if you see any improvement.  Pinning it down to a specific driver
would have significant debugging value :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge