Re: svn commit: r190514 - head/sys/conf

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:33:47 -0700
John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 13 August 2009 2:57:10 pm Doug Barton wrote:
>> Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>> Author: bz
>>> Date: Sat Mar 28 23:17:18 2009
>>> New Revision: 190514
>>>
>>> Log:
>>>   For kernel builds reduce the impact of svnversion, just scanning
>>>   src/sys and not the entire src/ tree.

Performance here I think is a red herring.  This is
really about correctness:  The SVN revision of usr.bin/ls
simply isn't relevant for the kernel build.

>> Also, what problem are we really trying to solve here? With a
>> populated cache it takes on average 5 seconds to run all of src, and
>> just under 1 to do only sys. Is 4 seconds really that important to
>> save? With a dry cache I'm sure it takes a little longer, but has
>> anyone actually measured this?

I just measured over 30 seconds for svnversion against /usr/src and
around 6 for /usr/src/sys (both with cold cache).

> It takes far longer than 5 seconds here against a local SVN repo over NFS.

The repo has nothing to do with it.  svnversion doesn't
talk to the repo.  It only examines the working copy.

Tim