Re: rc(8) regression. What's the story?

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:41:45 -0700
On Aug 16, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Stefan Bethke wrote:

> At this point, /etc/rc.d/netif is finished.

I presume dhclient has been started at this time.

>> bge1: link state changed to DOWN
>> Mounting NFS file systems:mount_nfs: nfs: hostname nor servname
>> provided, or not known
>> .
>> bge0: link state changed to UP
>
> Only now is the interface capable of forwarding packets.

Which means that dhclient is only now able to obtain a
network address.

>> Setting date via ntp.
>> Error : hostname nor servname provided, or not known
>> 16 Aug 14:05:51 ntpdate[644]: can't find host time.lan.xcllnt.net
>
> Is this a timeout, or did netif not configure all the interfaces/
> routes?

Interfaces/routes have not been configured yet, because dhclient
isn't finished yet.

>> This is an obvious regression and I don't see that this is being
>> addressed. Am I mistaken?
>
> Maybe not everyone is seeing this?  I certainly have no problems
> bringing up interfaces in time for ntpdate to work, or nfs mounts to
> succeed.

I don't see it on all machines, even though they use DHCP.
I think the problem relates to how long it takes for the
(primary) interface to become up.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com