Re: rc(8) regression. What's the story?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:37:19 -0700
David Wolfskill wrote:

> * Create a new rc.d script that sleeps until an IP address is assigned.
>
> I think the latter would be most flexible, as the appropriate keywords
> could be specified for precisely those rc.d/* scripts that actually need
> an IP address in order to function, though implementing it might
> engender rather more churn in /etc/rc.d/* than folks might prefer.

This is definitely the preferred solution, and has been discussed in
the past on the rc.d list.

One way to implement this would be to specify a default address to
ping, and make it overridable, similar to how I did the named_wait
feature. Bonus points if the user has ntpd enabled and we can pick one
of the server lines from ntp.conf at random.

Doug