Re: rc(8) regression. What's the story?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:47:47 -0700
Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 08:37:19PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> David Wolfskill wrote:
>>
>>> * Create a new rc.d script that sleeps until an IP address is assigned.
>>>
>>> I think the latter would be most flexible, as the appropriate keywords
>>> could be specified for precisely those rc.d/* scripts that actually need
>>> an IP address in order to function, though implementing it might
>>> engender rather more churn in /etc/rc.d/* than folks might prefer.
>> This is definitely the preferred solution, and has been discussed in
>> the past on the rc.d list.
>
> Well, this would probably cover the story of DHCP + slow media change
> detection (or just plain slow DHCP). However, there are similar (and way
> worse) problems if you are using a machine with a wlan interface, even
> without DHCP. In this case, an IP address is immediately assigned as
> soon as the wlanX interface is created, but that does not mean that
> traffic can flow. In my case, getting an association with an iwi(4) card
> lasts about 15-25 seconds. True, NTPD does not exit because an IP
> address is configured, but the spamming that it (and stuff like
> sendmail) produce on the console bears witness to the fact that they are
> not prepared to handle this situation... I will not even start to imagine
> what happens if I add a DHCP server into this mix...
>
>> One way to implement this would be to specify a default address to
>> ping, and make it overridable, similar to how I did the named_wait
>> feature. Bonus points if the user has ntpd enabled and we can pick one
>> of the server lines from ntp.conf at random.
>
> This, however, would be a much better solution, because it would also
> cover slow wireless.

Yes, I agree that merely detecting the presence of an IP address is
not enough.

David actually had a good idea regarding having the default ping
address be the gateway, which I think is a much better default. That
should be enough for most people, those who need something more
specific can specify it as an option.

Anyone want to take this project on?

Doug