vesa driver already for amd64!

From: Dmitriy Demidov <dima_bsd_at_inbox.lv>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:38:16 +0300
Hello.

I just want to make you know about one ongoing project of "porting" vesa
driver from i386 into amd64 architecture. You can read more about it's status
in English here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=6291
Or in Russian here: http://forum.lissyara.su/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19906

The author of this effort is one skilled programmer who is hiding behind the
nickname "paradox"  (I'm not ilvolved in this project - so all glories and
questions you should address to him, ok? :)

The ability to run vesa console driver in amd64 became a reality after porting
of x86emu from OpenBSD performed by paradox. At this moment there already is
ability to use vesa mode in early stages of FreeBSD booting process and to
have hight screen resolutions_at_32bit in console!!! Work is still in progress
at this moment.

The is one question regarding of this project: do FreeBSD community and
official commiters is interested in this feature? Is there any possibility to
see this code commited in official FreeBSD tree?

Ed, can you please take a look on this code? I know about ongoing work in
syscons. May be this solution will be good enought to be used right now, and
may be it will help to speed up new graphical console development (on what
you are working now)?

Best regards!