Re: Our old friend, the small default layout is back...

From: Nick Hilliard <nick-lists_at_netability.ie>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:14:10 +0100
On 25/08/2009 20:14, Svein Skogen (listmail account) wrote:
> Just finished setting up a RELENG_8 box (using install media from BETA2).
>
> Seems our old friend the too small root partition (by default) for x64
> is back. Should this be fixed before the RC, so users applying
> buildworld->buildkernel->installkernel->installworld doesn't get tossed
> out of their cycle by an out-of-space error?

Disk space is dirt cheap.  Please someone just bump this up to 1G so that
the problem goes away for a long time.

Pro: disk space costs around 10c-15c per gigabyte these days.  It is worth
investing 10 or even 15 cents worth of disk space now in order to save the
freebsd user base from pointless hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing in the future.

Con: there is still probably a miniscule number of people installing
freebsd on ancient equipment with 20G hard disks; in this case, you could
argue that 1G is a substantial amount of space.  On the other hand, anyone
installing freebsd8 on ancient iron is probably familiar enough with the
installation procedure to notice and change this default on their own system.

Nick