Re: Our old friend, the small default layout is back...

From: cpghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:35:13 +0200
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 06:24:33PM +0200, Svein Skogen (listmail account) wrote:
> Actually, I can see a scenario where an increased root fs size may be
> problematic. That's when you're setting up FreeBSD on a smallish 4GB
> CF-card, which is relevant when people are using FreeBSD to build a
> no-movable-parts router and so on. But, in real life, when you're
> setting up such a specialized machine, you basically need to set up your
> FS'es manually anyways.

In real life, you may want to update those routers too, and that's
when it becomes problematic, depending on your work flow. Of course,
one could always build a kernel without symbols so it fits in the
smallish root-fs, but those were just too useful not to build them.

My wish would be a change to the buildkernel/installkernel target,
so that it puts the symbols (or kernel+symbols) somewhere outside
root, and put a stripped version of the kernel in /boot instead.
This would immediately free up a lot of space in /, and would be
much more preferable than growing / once again.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/