Re: Root history not saving over reboot 8*

From: Al Plant <noc_at_hdk5.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 07:29:53 -1000
Kamigishi Rei wrote:
> Al Plant wrote:
>> Several of us on the questions list have not been able to find out if
>> the problem of history not being saved in the root or usr command
>> lines has been corrected.
>> I have tried 8* on both i386 and amd64 and it doesnt save across a
>> reboot on either box. FreeBSD 7.2 does as do the earlier current
>> versions before approximately June of 8*
> I guess you use 'reboot' to reboot. As this forces a reboot immediately
> (and closes all terminals), the shell has no chance to terminate
> 'normally' (i.e., by exit/ctrl-d/logout/etc) - therefore history is not
> saved.
>
> Check if the command history is saved if you do "shutdown -r now" and
> hit ctrl-d immediately. I'd assume it does.
>
> --
> Kamigishi Rei
> KREI-RIPE

Aloha,

Thanks for the response.
To be more precise...

(amd64  and i386 act the same)

I have tried both a reboot -r and shutdown -h now command on the two
test boxes  with 8* and in both cases no mepory of the command lines is
saved.

If you just exit the shell and then sign back on the memory stays.
Under the early versions of 8* and 7.2 exit, shutdown -r or -h retains
the memory.

Thanks...

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +