can't install 8.0-BETA3 [amd64]

From: Ruslan Kalakutsky <r.kalakutsky_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:58:33 +0400
Hello.

I've tried to install FreeBSD 8.0-beta3, but after installation system
doesn't boot.

System configuration:
* Tyan 2932-E (NVIDIA NFP3600),
* 1 x AMD Opteron 2352,
* 4GB,
* 2x WD VelociRaptor (WD1500HLFS) on internal SATA RAID (MCP55),
* Qlogic 2560 - fibre HBA to Xyratex RS-1220-F4-5412E-2048-DL2 via SAN
Switch Qlogic 5600

Install media - USB disk (I've tried two different disks, MD5 and SHA - right).

I've tried different install configuration with the same result.

There is no difference where to install - on internal array or on SAN disk.

When I've use minimal distribution set, system installation completed
successfully, but doesn't boot with error message:

Episode 1:
-------------------
If I've used internal array (device arX):
'No boot loader'

or

'Invalid format'

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
No /boot/kernel/kernel

Episode 2:
-------------------
In case of SAN (device daX):
[... kernel messages - all hardware detected, disk - clean...]
ip6addrctl: not found
logger: no found
find: not found
mktemp: not found
[... and so on until message: ]
init: can't exec getty 'usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv1: No
such file or directory
init: can't exec getty 'usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv5: No
such file or directory
init: can't exec getty 'usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv3: No
such file or directory
[... and so on ]

I've tried to boot in single mode and run
# fsck -y -f
A HUGE amount of errors, but after repair system doesn't boot with the
same errors

Episode 3:
-------------------
If i add some other packets to distribution set  - install fail with
error like this:

panic: ufs_dirbad: /mnt/usr: bad dir ino 73504 at offset 0: mangled
entry cpuid = 2
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 109 tid 100088]
Stopped at  kdb_enter+0x3d: movq $0,0x68c5b0(%rip)
db>

Episode 4:
-------------------
I've install FreeBSD 7.2 amd64. Everything fine, except it doesn't see
SAN disk at all (isp driver doesn't know about Qlogic 2560)
After it I've perform freebsd-update (like this:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-August/051628.html)

Everything fine!! but the kernel has lot's of stuff i don't need, so i
rebuild the kernel and the world:
# csup -h .... /root/stable-8 (RELENG_8)
# echo 'HISTORICAL_MAKE_WORLD=YES' > /etc/make.conf
# echo 'CPUTYPE?=opteron' >> /etc/make.conf
# cp /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC /root/G1
# vi G1 (remove only debuging options, and STOP_NMI, wlan and so on -
accordingly UPDATING file, and add COMPAT_FREEBSD7)
# cd /usr/src && make world clean && reboot

and have the situation like in Episode 1.
Note (I suppose the procedure is correct because of minor updates
between BETA3 and current RELENG_8, and I don't need to do make
builworld buildkernel installkernel and so on)

I've tried almost all of this on 3 different servers (with the same
config) with the same result.
And all of this because of newer isp driver for QLogic %\

Can anyone explain me what I've done wrong? (Or maybe this message
just help to make FreeBSD better :))

Thanks in advance.
Ruslan.
Office3k admin team.