Re: Our old friend, the small default layout is back...

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:37:08 -0600 (MDT)
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, cpghost wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:28:52AM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> On 2009-08-25 23:07, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>>> Someone will complain.  There's always someone.
>>
>> And of course, if you crank the default root fs size to 1 GiB, the
>> complaints will come that "FreeBSD wastes your disk space". ;)
>
> Kids theres days... ;-)
>
> But seriously now: as someone using FreeBSD on embedded devices, I'll
> definitely complain. There's absolutely NO reason a root partition
> should be that big (in the default install)!

It's not so much that 128M is too little or 1G is too much.  It's really
that there's no such thing as one size fits all.

What would be really nice would be if default sizes were calculated
based on available disk space.  If there's 200G of space, 1G for / is
fine.  If it's a 4G CF card, 128M is okay.  For only 2G of available
space, it could all go to / and nothing else.