Re: New BSD licensed debugger

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 03:17:11 -0400
At 8:23 PM +0100 8/28/09, Doug Rabson wrote:
>As one or two of you know, I've been working recently on writing a
>new debugger, primarily for the FreeBSD platform. For various
>reasons, I've been writing it in a relatively obscure C-like
>language called D (see http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/index.html
>for more details including a free download of a FreeBSD D compiler.

Very interesting.  I've wanted to do some work with D, but (of
course) haven't had the time.

>So far, I have a pretty useful (if a little raw at the edges)
>command line debugger which supports ELF, Dwarf debugging
>information and (currently) 32 bit FreeBSD and Linux.

>If anyone is interested in taking a look at a 'Technology Preview',
>I've put up a git repository at
>http://people.freebsd.org/~dfr/ngdb.git. To build it you need to
>install 'omake' from /usr/ports/devel/omake and you will need a D
>compiler. There are three options there - DMD which you can download
>from http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html is free, closed
>source and works pretty well. GDC is a D front end to GCC and you
>can find it in ports - it works well enough but hasn't been updated
>for ages. Personally, I use LDC which is a D front end to LLVM but
>that doesn't build out-of-the box (I have a private hacked version
>of LDC and some associated libraries).

A D front-end to llvm is also very welcome.  I'll have to find some
time to try these out!

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn_at_rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org