FreeBSD 8.0 problems with interface renaming and dhcp?

From: Angelo Hongens <angelo_at_hongens.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 19:43:17 +0100
On most of my BSD machines I rename the interfaces to nic0. This way, I
can swap cards and drivers, and keep the rest of my config the same.

I upgraded one of these machines from 7.2 to 8.0 (both standard kernel),
and suddenly the machine would not get a dhcp lease.

In my /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_em0_name="nic0"
ifconfig_nic0="DHCP"

The machine woud boot, but not get an ip. (and no dhclient output while
booting). And ifconfig would show the nic nic0 up, but without an ip. If
I do 'dhclient nic0' it immediately gets an ip, and all is well.

If I do NOT rename the interface but just config: ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
everything works as well..

So is this a new bug or feature introduced in FreeBSD8? Is it something
that can be fixed? (So dhclient is executed for renamed interfaces.)

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Angelo Höngens