Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD

From: Kevin Wilcox <kevin.wilcox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:04:14 -0500
2009/12/10 Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk>:

> >From my information security manager:
>
>        FreeBSD isn't much used within the University (I understand) and has a
>        (comparatively) poor security record. Most recently, for example:
>
>        http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Root-exploit-for-FreeBSD-873352.html

Wow.

Just...wow.

FreeBSD's security record, the rate at which fixes occur, the ports
system and the overall sanity of the environment is *precisely* why we
have been migrating from RHEL to FreeBSD at my University (I'm
employed by the University, not a student).

I would be quite curious as to which operating system is serving as
the baseline for this comparison. I would also be quite curious as to
whether the manager making said statement is responsible for central
IT services or is locked into providing services by a particular
vendor.

kmw

--
Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a