Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD

From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:45:02 +0100
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:21:50 +0000
Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> I had to fight a long battle, well.. I had
> some support from other academics, to have
> a linux class in my Faculty. Here the
> opposition wasn't so much security, as
> "why would any undegraduate need linux",
> as if MS solutions are a pinnacle of human thought.

I feel for you.  I used to work for DEC, at one time a major UNIX vendor.
Then one day all employees were forced to install Windows NT to access
their mail accounts because management, in its wisdom, decided to
standardize on Mickeysoft Exchange Server.  No real reason, since up til
then UNIX mail servers had been more than adequate.  IT services had
similarly restrictive policies regarding users installing SW, etc.

I always wondered who Mickeysoft bribed to get that put through.

Fortuantely, I had no problem setting up a "black" FreeBSD box to
preserve my sanity.

---
Gary Jennejohn