HEADS UP: New version of mergemaster with type checking

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:28:41 -0800
Howdy,

I think the commit message explains this pretty well, but I wanted to
give a heads up message because this is very likely to ring a few
bells the first time through. I personally noticed it as result of the
recent termcap change, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with stale
stuff in /etc/ in particular.

Please make sure that you employ (what should be) the usual precaution
of backing up /etc before running this version of mergemaster. I also
encourage regular use of the -P option (or PRESERVE_FILES=yes in
~/.mergemasterrc or /etc/mergemaster.rc) however while I believe that
this new code is -P safe backing up /etc first is preferred this time
around.

If you have any feedback on the code, messages, etc. please offer them
sooner rather than later. I will wait longer than 3 days for the MFC
on this one but at minimum I want to get it into RELENG_7 well before
the upcoming freeze.

Enjoy,

Doug