Re: AHCI/ATA_CAM for dummies?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:57:24 +1030
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> b. f. wrote:
> > "The main regression of the new mode is a lack of ataraid
> > alternative, to support cheap BIOS-based ATA RAIDs. If somebody has
> > time and wish to port that code from inside ata(4) into GEOM
> > module, to make it work over CAM also, I would appreciate that and
> > propose a help, if needed."
>
> Please search stable_at_ archives for my bad experiences with ataraid.
>
> IMHO, this stuff needs serious attention before it could be
> considered useful, so the lack of ataraid in the new world order is
> not that much of a loss, to my mind anyway.

It worked well in 4.x in my experience, but I had issues with 6.x and
switched to "real" (3ware) RAID cards after that.

That said even in 4.x you could get spontaneous splits which was quite
annoying.

6.x would do things like pick the "wrong" side of the mirror (ie one
that is out of date) which causes hilarity to ensue when you find data
for the last week has gone away..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum