Re: 8.0-RELEASE: disk IO temporarily hangs up (ZFS or ATA related problem)

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:35:18 +1030
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Alexander Zagrebin wrote:
> > I doubt this is the problem, I have WD10EADS disks in my ZFS
> > array and I
> > see the same issue.
> >
> > It strikes me as extremely unlikely that both of us would have dud
> > disks..
> >
> > In any case it seems to be a general problem not limited to
> > one area of
> > the disk so a dud sector is an unlikely reason.
>
> Big thanks for confirmation!
> Your confirmation is important for me.
> There should be a way to define where the bug is: in the ata (or
> filesystem) driver or in the drive's firmware....

Yes, it would be nice to track down..

The drive is not particularly fast but single threaded sequential reads
and writes (on the array) are not unreasonable (220/300Mb/sec) so it
seems odd the penalty for accessing a busy array is so bad (of the
order of seconds of delay).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum