Re: Some notes on RootOnZFS article in wiki

From: krad <kraduk_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:03:52 +0000
2009/12/21 Mel Flynn
<mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net<mel.flynn%2Bfbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net>

> Hi,
>
> yesterday went through the RootOnZFS (gpt mirror version) and here's a few
> notes:
> 1) You cannot use the install CD. It doesn't have a livefs and so you can
> never do the actual install in 2.2. The DVD will work and the USB image. I
> ended up using the livefs CD and the USB image, cause I didn't want to
> loose

Maybe that procedure needs modifying a bit, but you can do its from disk1.
As i have. Things are a bit clumsy but it does work.

> the work I already did.
> 2) `gpart set -a active -i 1 ad4' gave me 'active: device not configured'.
> This error isn't mentioned (debugflags didn't help) in the wiki nor the
> missing DIAGNOSTICS section in the gpart man page. In my case the system
> booted, but it's nice to know what the error means and whether you can
> ignore
> it.

 I think this has already been coved by other posters

> 3) By adding the swap partitions on the two mirrored disks to /etc/fstab
> top
> actually shows the sum of these as available swap. My expectation is/was
> that
> the swap would be mirrored and thus I'd have only the size of one swap
> partition. If this isn't the case, can I get by with 1 of the two since
> they're double the intended size or should one use 2 and thus create them
> half
> the intended size?

 No as if you loose a disk you will only have 1/2 the swap you need.

> 4) The given mount points have sane defaults, however, I use cvs to
> checkout
> the ports. It would be nice to have one example where data is already in a
> directory tree and how one can promote it to a zfs filesystem with special
> properties.

You cant really promote something to a file system. The ideal situation is
you create the fs before you unpack the ports tar ball (or cvs). Otherwise,
rename /usr/ports (/usr/ports.old/, create the fs as desired, then rsync the
files there (or cp, or mv). Then delete the old tree.