Re: Some notes on RootOnZFS article in wiki

From: krad <kraduk_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:06:52 +0000
2009/12/21 Mel Flynn
<mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net<mel.flynn%2Bfbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net>

> On Monday 21 December 2009 07:03:52 krad wrote:
> > 2009/12/21 Mel Flynn
> > <mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net<mel.flynn%2Bfbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net>
> <mel.flynn%2Bfbsd.current_at_maili
> > ng.thruhere.net>
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > yesterday went through the RootOnZFS (gpt mirror version) and here's a
> > > few notes:
> > > 1) You cannot use the install CD. It doesn't have a livefs and so you
> can
> > > never do the actual install in 2.2. The DVD will work and the USB
> image.
> > > I ended up using the livefs CD and the USB image, cause I didn't want
> > > loose
> >
> > Maybe that procedure needs modifying a bit, but you can do its from
> disk1.
> > As i have. Things are a bit clumsy but it does work.
>
> - Using 8.0-RELEASE disc 1 amd64, 2 coasters burnt on two different
> machines
> with two different OS's, the Fixit option from CD/DVD kept asking for the
> livefs CD, so I assume it's not on there or two different coasters had the
> exact same errors.
> - Livefs doesn't have /dist/8.0-RELEASE/*.
> - Ejecting livefs won't work when mounted.
> - umount is on CD.
> - /rescue/umount is too big for space left on md0.
> - libc.so.7+umount is also too big for space left on md0.
>
> You are using option 5 on the fixit menu arent you? As thats what i used.
Its clunky as its not bash and loads of paths are not setup.

 Generally these days I use a usb drive with a full installation of freebsd,
with all the different distos on it it might want to install

So I'm curious how the 'clumsy' method works.