Re: Systems running hot?

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:21:11 +0100
Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> OTOH I just loaded coretemp and I have this:
>
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 79.0C
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 83.0C

These are very high, but not critical: Tj(max) is actually 85 C and not
75 C as I (mis)remembered.

Has your laptop always run this hot?  It could be a manufacturing error:
either too much or too little heat transfer compund between the die and
the heatsink.  There should be just enough to fill any air gaps between
the die and the heatsink, but no more, as HTC doesn't actually conduct
heat very well (better than air, but not nearly as well as metal).  If
your laptop is out of warranty and you're feeling adventurous, you could
open it up, carefully unclip the heatsink[*] and pry it loose, wipe off
the HTC (use isopropanol if necessary) and apply a fresh layer.

[*] most likely copper blocks on each chip (CPU, GPU etc.) connected to
each other and to a heatsink by copper pipes.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no