Re: File system blocks alignment

From: Thomas Backman <serenity_at_exscape.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:22:08 +0100
On Dec 25, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Alexander Motin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Recently WD released first series of ATA disks with increased physical
> sector size. It makes writes not matching with 4K blocks inefficient
> there.
They don't expose this to the OS, though (not by default, anyway), but chop it up into 8 512-byte sectors for compatibility reasons.
Just thought I'd point that out - I'm not even sure if you can get them to *not* do the compatibility thing and expose 4k-sized sectors.

I'm sure your work is important for other setups, though, as proved. :)

Regards,
Thomas