Re: Call for Test and Review: bwn(4) - another Broadcom Wireless driver

From: Bruce Simpson <bms_at_incunabulum.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:22:38 +0000
On 26/12/2009 03:49, Weongyo Jeong wrote:
> Frankly speaking I didn't know siba(4) during I'd written ssb(4).  It's
> my bad and I think you opinion is right to go forward though siba(4)
> missed 802.11 related codes.  Before committing bwn(4) into tree I'd
> merge codes into siba(4) firstly.

I wrote some of the siba(4) stuff originally, a few years ago, when
trying to get FreeBSD booting on the Netgear WGT824, which has a
Broadcom BCM5365P (aka Sentry5) embedded system processor, and contains
Sonics SiliconBackPlane for its onboard peripherals.

I had based some of it off a patch I think David Young came up with for
NetBSD on the same beast. I got as far as getting the onboard bfe(4) to
do NEWBUS attachment on the siba(4) bus, but because I hadn't gotten IRQ
allocation/routing working on BCM5365P, bfe(4) didn't fully attach.

Interestingly it looked like ubsec(4) might have worked with just a few
tweaks, for the otherwise ppoorly] [un]documented crypto hardware on the
Sentry5 chip.

I believe other folk have taken what was there in the FreeBSD MIPS
branch and run with it since then, so siba(4) might be closer to
completion now.

cheers,
BMS