Clearing /var/tmp on boot

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:56:13 +0000
Hello Current..

	While checking over my system (9-CURRENT AMD64) I was a bit surprised to find
tons of old files that were hanging around in my /var/tmp that were never
deleted/cleaned out. Most of the offenders were dbus, KDE and PCSCD files. To
be honest, I never really checked the /var/tmp directory as I normally use the
/tmp for generic stuff (unpacking archives, etc). I was wondering if there
should be a startup rc script that cleans this directory as well. I copied and
modified the existing /etc/rc.d/cleartmp  (now
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/clearvartmp) to do this job and would be interested in
knowing if this is a good idea or if there are any ill effects that I didn't
anticipate by doing this.

	Should the /var/tmp directory be cleaned on bootup? To me, it looked like it
should as many of the files in the KDE directory were partial download files
many months old.

	I have included the script I used in this email, but would like to point out
that I am not the author of the original script, I mearly modified the
existing one to do as I wanted.

Peg