RE: 8.0-RELEASE: disk IO temporarily hangs up (ZFS or ATA relatedproblem)

From: Johan Hendriks <Johan_at_double-l.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:21:11 +0100

>ZFS will write buffer ALOT.  Your settings of vfs.zfs.arc_min and
vfs.zfs.arc_max will likely affect how bursty this >is.  I've been
running with Min, 32 GB arc, and see very bursty writes (of course, my
systems have 64GB).

>Also, use 'zpool iostat 1' and not the system iostat. Check gstat as
well.

>also try using CAM_ATA (ahci.ko) instead of ad devices, so your can get
the benefits of tag queuing.

>There is also a possible undocumented issue with, I believe it was the
WD green drives, where the vibration of the >drive actually slowed it
down.  This was demonstrated by setting a pound or two of silly putty on
the top of the >drive, and its performance (significantly) increased.
Experiment with putting some heavily, non-conductive weight on >top of
each drive - a book or something.

Even with hardware the FreeBSD Handbook comes Handy ;-)